"Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact." – William James

Monday, April 5, 2010

Recovery as a Marathon


A friend just sent this to me and I HAD to share! Its so empowering. As a runner, I feel so much power when I run the distances that I never dreamed I could. Finishing races with a healthy body that can take me those distances is the most freeing thing I've experienced in my life. Recovery takes time, patience, work, HARD work. It takes walking the walk, not just talking the talk. There may be pain, but the reward is worth every ounce of pain. Freedom. Love. Laughter. Relationships. Its all worth it!

a modern fairy tale



Once upon a time, in a kingdom not unlike ours there was a common serving boy with dreams of knighthood. In those days, you had to be a knights son to be trained as a knight. Sometimes if a dragon was slain or a particularly clever irrigation system was invented they would make an exception. But you had to be extraordinarily lucky since dragons were few and far between and this was before American Idol had been invented.

One day, on the advice of his wizard, the king made a new decree. All through the land it was proclaimed;

"Any person who can complete a marathon will be granted a wish from the king. This offer is good as long as the kingdom stands and the offer is open to all."

This was exciting news. The whole country was abuzz. Everyone wanted a wish from the king. Everyone made plans to run the marathon.

The marathons were to be held once a year. The boy signed up for the first one. Surprisingly there were few names on the list.

"I'll do the next one" said a friend, "I'm pretty busy right now".

"I'm not sure if I want the king to make me a knight or a minstrel, so I'm going to wait till I figure out which I should be" said another.

"My boyfriend wants me to wait till he can run it too said a pretty lass."

And so on the first marathon only half the town showed up. When the bell was rung, they started running the 26 miles they had to complete. (this was before the metric system). After about 2 miles, the first person gave up. At about 5 miles the boy was too exhausted to go on. He crawled for awhile till he passed out. No one from their town finished the marathon.

The next day, people were talking again, about how the king had set an impossible task. It was obvious that as many people could run marathons as could slay dragons. The general populace went back to living the way they did before.

A year later though, a skinny tailor won it. And the year after that a couple other people did. They all had their wishes granted. Still the people did not hope because many had tried and most had failed. They were not genetically predisposed to running marathons. They were a short and stocky people.

One day a knight came to town to talk about how he won the marathon.

The town hall was full because people always have dreams. The knight shared his secret:

"Almost no one can run a marathon at first try." he said and everyone nodded their heads at this truth. "No matter how hard you try." And the boy knew this was true because he had tried with all his heart but that had only taken him to mile 5. "but I know a secret that will help you pass the marathon" said the knight and everyone leaned forward.

"when I ran my first marathon, after 2 miles it became impossible and I quit. I went home defeated. But the next day I woke up mad because I am not a quitter and so I went back to where the marathon was held and though no one was there, I ran it again. And this time it was even harder because I had blisters, but I ran it anyways and at 2 miles it became impossible again and I went home defeated. Because I am stubborn, I came back the next day and ran it again. I did this all week purely because my nickname is stubborn joey. After a week though, I found that I could run 3 miles. So I was a little encouraged. I resolved to complete the marathon for my own pride and every day I ran and every week I found I ran a little farther. When the next year's marathon came around, I failed yet again, but this time I got to 18 miles before I had to quit. I ran every day until the next marathon and suddenly and easily I won the next marathon. As you can see, the king granted me my wish, I am a knight".

The people were angry.

"We want a proper secret!" they yelled. No one wanted to run everyday for 2 years.

"but don't you see?" the knight told everyone still listening "you can have your dream, you can have anything you want if you just dedicate some time to it every day. Even a little daily effort will get you closer to your dream. You just have to learn to push yourself a little farther every day. It's not that hard once you get used to it"... but by that time the only person who was listening was the boy.

So the boy resolved to train for the marathon. He ran a mile every day for a couple days... then things got busy and he told himself he would run 4 miles on the weekend when he had more time, but he ended up going to the beach with his friends. He always intended to start running again, maybe tomorrow or for sure by next week. He never gave up on his dream, he bought some very nice running shoes and did a lot of research about running. He did a lot of planning and made a lot of resolutions. But he rarely actually went running. He thought of himself as a runner and was bitterly critical of other people who trained and he was especially bitter about the people who won marathons. He drank a lot of ale and grew heavier but he kept telling himself that one day he would start training again, he would run the marathon.

Finally years later, he found the knight who gave the speech and he asked him how the king granted his wish.. did he rub a lamp and a genie came out? Did he wave a magic wand? The knight explained that the king sent him to see the wizard who told him this:

"You have already learned the secret to getting what you wish in life. Almost any change you desire can be brought about by daily practice. While your goals may seem impossible at first, with enough faithful training you can achieve them. Now go and spread this knowledge."

And the boy who was now a man became angry and hit the knight with a rock because he really didn't want to hear that the power to change his own life was in his own hands.

A great sadness fell over the knight because no one wanted to hear the fantastic truth and also he had just been hit with a rock.

and while the knight went on to live happily ever after, very few other people did.

No comments:

Post a Comment