"Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact." – William James

Monday, July 11, 2011

Adios Ed, A Reflection



A year ago I wrote a Goodbye letter to Ed. Reading over this, I can feel the emotions that I felt when I wrote it. Remember the anxiety, the fear of giving up something so precious to me, yet so detrimental to my future, a future that I longed for. A part of me really did not want to say 'goodbye' but instead wanted to keep just a little hold on, even if only by a string. There was comfort in my disease. A security in knowing that if I felt unsafe, out of control, misunderstood, or ashamed that I could run back to my blanket and again feel protected.
I did not know that after writing that letter, I would have some big falls before I had my major turn of heart in December. I did not know I would drink many times before I decided that October 23rd would be the date that I would stay sober one day at a time. I did not know anything when I wrote that letter. But I did know one thing, I wanted a future and that is one thing that I still know today. However, there is one thing that is a little stronger today as well: I see that future unfolding. The future excites me more then it scares me. I know I will have some struggles, but I also know how I will deal with them. I don't hate the person I am today, I'm actually starting to like who I am.
So today's letter to Ed would be much shorter. It would simply say this:

Dear Ed,
Thank you for all that you have done in my life. It might seem odd to some that I am thanking you, but today I can see the blessings you have brought, or at least the blessings God has brought into my life because of you. I have learned who I am, what I want from life, what I value, and how to appreciate life.  While there are certain aspects I will probably always miss about you when it comes to body image, I'm not willing to trade anything to get those aspects back. So Ed, it's been a long, hard, roller-coaster ride, but I'm sorry my friend, I'm getting off. Adios!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Jaclyn! :) It's great having you for support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I just read your old letter and almost cried. It really hit home when you said something about how you can't have both-the life God wants for you and the one that ED gives you. Ouch. That is my biggest struggle right now. Wanting to live my life for Christ, but not willing to let go of my ED, alcohol or medication abuse. I look forward to catching up your blog and following your recovery. Thanks, Lis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment Lis. It's still a battle some days. I find myself living in what I want out of life instead of what God wants for me. That's why I start each day with prayer, asking Him to let me live my day as He wants, not how I want. Keep fighting girl. It's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was so amazing !

    xx

    ReplyDelete