"Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact." – William James

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

International Women's Day



Today is International Women’s Day, a day to recognize women’s struggles for equality and justice. Today’s society is much different then it was many years ago. It is not out of the ordinary for women to be in the workplace or to hold high positions within the field. However, these women can still be looked up to just as they were many years ago. Years ago, it took a lot of guts to walk into a workplace of primarily males. While today’s society may be different, we still have many reasons to look up to women.

In honor of the day, I began thinking about the past year and a handful of women who have reached their hand out when I needed it, offered words of wisdom, set an example for me to follow or just became the friend I needed at that time.

First, my mom. While we have had our arguments over the past year, she has stayed by my side. She has done everything in her power to help me in my recovery. She always encourages me to do what I desire which has helped me to find what I really want out of life.

My mentor, Kendra. I do not know where I would be today without you. You have taught me to find my voice and I’m learning to use it. Through your example, I have seen that there is life without my eating disorder, an exciting life at that. Without you, I don’t know if I would have ever found a reason to fight for myself instead of everyone else. You have taught me that I am worth more that I ever thought I was.

My sponsor, Bridget. From the first day I entered the doors, you kept telling me I needed to get a sponsor, but you let me do things in my time. Eventually I came around and from that day, my life has been different. I take responsibility for my actions, I keep my mouth shut when it needs to be shut (for the most part…), my relationship with God is present again, and I am finding happiness none of which would have been possible without you and your example.

Lindsay A- You stuck around when not many others did and for that I am forever grateful

Wendy- You went out of your way so many times for me. I can’t believe how much you put up with. You have shown me what true friendship is all about.

Lexi- My best friend. You are always there, no matter the distance.

Emily- You taught me how to laugh again. You brought me out of the shell I had been hiding in for so long. Thank you.

Jeanette- You constantly show me that the glass is half full. I am always amazed at your attitude about life and hope to have just half that outlook.


I am so blessed. I could keep going but for the sake of time and your eyes reading, I will stop. What women are you grateful for today?

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer Sternecker,

    I love you dearly...you know that and if you don't, you are crazy haha Meeting you last May literally changed my life and I am so happy that I am able to call you one of my best friends. You helped bring me out of my shell also and I will never be able to thank you enough for that. You are my other half...never forget it!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you just made me teary hun!!! I love you a lot. And your voice is beautiful. It has been an HONOR to be on this journey with you. Believe it or not your voice rings in my head as well. aka 10 minute bath time aka me time comment lol

    ReplyDelete